First, let me say thank you for your interest in becoming involved in our Mission Kingsport Tutoring Ministry here at First Baptist Church. This will be our 11th year! Amazing!!!!
What day do we tutor?
We tutor on Tuesday afternoons and are planning to start on September 11th.
What time do I have to be at the church?
The tutors arrive around 2:40 when Pam Davis will be going over the skills with the tutors that will be covered in their homework that day. She will be there to answer any question that you might have.
Are there other things I might be asked to do?
- Bus Traveler: For safety we must have 2 adults in the vehicles as we pick the students up from school AND as we take them home at 4. You might be asked to be a “shotgun rider” on a bus to provide that 2nd adult with the driver.
Some other things you might want to know:
- This is a one-on-one tutoring session.
- Our students who are from John Sevier Middle School are identified by their Math teachers as needing extra help in Math skills. After sending home a registration packet and getting it back from the parents, I get the names and we start!
- You will be assigned a student to work with during the year. If you are out of town on a Tuesday – your student will work with someone else and come back to you when you are back in town.
- If your child is absent and we don’t need you to tutor a different student – you might be sent home. Please don’t take this as a negative against you – the teachers and principal will be working on their end to encourage our students to come. One of the reasons they are having problems is because they DON’T always follow through with things.
- If you are interested in signing up, please click on the tutoring application below. You may email this to me or send it to me through regular mail. Please feel free to call me if you have questions. Also, please know that all adults working with children must pass a background check. Please follow the directions on the application to do this.
Below you will find a few of the people that have been involved in the Tutoring Ministry for several years. They will be happy to talk to you about their experiences with the students.
Some people you might talk to about tutoring would be Joe Davison, Jerry Schlather, Teli Marshall, Paulette Fielden, and Larry Gillenwater.
The number of students that we can serve this year will be determined by the number of tutors we have. Please pray about becoming involved in this very hands-on ministry!
Call me if you have questions.